03 September 2005

Hurricane Katrina: Blog for Relief Weekend Post 2

My kids are going to put together a care package to send to Lori Seaborg here at HSB.
She says:


Some of you have asked what else the victims
need.  I'll first tell you what the organizations provided, based on my
first-hand experience in Hurricane Ivan.  The Red Cross provided shelters and food and water.  The Salvation Army provided hot food and water.  The Southern Baptists provided laundry services, debris removal, and hot meals. FEMA
provided ice, water, and meals-ready-to-eat.   After a couple of weeks,
they provided trailers for those who did not have a home.  Later, much
later, they provided cash reimbursements for evacuating and for food
loss, but the aid was sporadic. 



 



Based on that, you can see a big gap.  There is nobody providing diapers, non-perishable foods, shampoo, formula, body wash, cleaning supplies, toiletries, children's toys, and items such as those.  Nobody has a program for handing out clothing.   



 



If you want to get those items to me, I can get
them into the hands of the churches (the Church of Christ is one) and
organizations who will be willing to pass them out.  I can also put the
items into the hands of the refugees that I will personally see at the
shelter.






She is also asking for Bibles.





No comments: