16 November 2013

30 Days of Giving Thanks ~ Day 16

Some of the most important people in my life were born in November, beginning with my Daddy.

He was born on November 16, 1926 in the heart of the Rio Grande Valley of south Texas.  He was the epitome of his generation, The Greatest Generation.  He lived his life and walked out his faith with quiet dignity.  He was hardworking and humble. He had an understated sense of humour and a talent for drawing.  He enjoyed music and history.  He cheered the Cowboys during the Landry years, the Seahawks during the Largent years, the Mariners during his retirement years, and the Longhorns always.  He wanted to be a pilot, but because of poor eyesight had to "settle" for being an engineer, which he did for 40 years.  He was intelligent, generous, and kind.  He loved my mama, and hated it when she and I didn't get along.  She called him her "knight in shining armor;" i called him my "daddy doodles," because he always drew little cartoons when he signed my birthday cards and the letters he wrote to me when i was away in college.  I wish i still had some of those letters.  He was the finest example of a Godly husband and father that i have ever known.  I am so blessed to have been Daddy's Girl for 39 years, and i am thankful that we will be together again someday!

No comments: